Applications are accepted from young journalists from five Central Asian countries until May 30, 2019.
The analytical platform cabar.asia, with the support of the IWPR Central Asia Office and the OSCE Academy in Bishkek, will hold the second School of Analytical Journalism for young reporters from Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan, which will take place in Almaty (Kazakhstan) from June 28 to July 5, 2019.
The educational workshop is aimed at training and nurturing a new generation of analytical journalists who will raise and analyze the most pressing and important problems of both their countries and the entire Central Asian region.
Short Summary of the Program
Within eight days, participants will undergo an intensive program, which includes:
– the basics of analytical journalism;
– skills of interesting and accessible writing;
– fact checking;
– data journalism.
– ethics of a journalist;
– production of photo and video reports;
– skills of shooting and editing videos for social networks;
– digital security;
– promotion of materials on social networks.
The program includes practice both indoors and in the “field”.
The trainers will be professional journalists and editors from Russia, Eastern Europe, Central Asia, as well as IWPR editors.
The expenses of journalists related to participation in the cabar.asia School of Analytical Journalism are covered by the IWPR Central Asia Office (transport, accommodation and meals).
The terms of participation
The main objective of the School is the direct application of the acquired knowledge in practice.
Participation in the School of Analytical Journalism requires mandatory cooperation with the analytical platform cabar.asia as a freelance journalist, as well as the application of acquired knowledge in thier own editorial offices.
Requirements for potential participants:
– Experience as a journalist for at least three years;
– Age up to 35 years;
– Written and oral knowledge of the Russian language;
– Permanent residence in the region and citizenship of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan or Uzbekistan.
To participate in the competition you must fill out online form which includes:
– Resume (no more than one page);
– A motivation letter (with answers to the following questions: 1. Why do you want to participate and why should you be selected? 2. How will you put the knowledge into practice? 3. How often can you prepare materials for cabar.asia?);
– Three topics of upcoming analytical articles for cabar.asia platform (describe: why they should be analyzed and from what angle; what information and data are going to be included; what will be the source of information);
– Links to the last three articles you have published;
– Links to profiles on social networks.
The deadline for accepting applications is May 30, 2019, until 23:00 Bishkek time (GMT + 6). On June 10, the results of the competitive selection will be announced. Notifications of results will be received only by candidates selected for participation.